The No. 7 jersey at LSU is awarded to a player that exhibits the stellar play on the field of those that came before them. Previous players who have worn the coveted jersey in past years include Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, D.J. Chark, Leonard Fournette, and Grant Delpit. And now, junior WR Ja’Marr Chase will wear No.7 for LSU in 2020.
WR Ja’Marr Chase-An Unforgettable Season
As a sophomore, Chase became the most decorated wide receiver in school history after turning in arguably the most prolific season for a receiver in college football in 2019 (stats provided by cfbstats.com).
- Ranked #2 in FBS in receiving yards.
- 1780 yards (an SEC single-season record).
- 20 receiving touchdowns (an SEC single-season record).
- 84 catches
- Averaged 21 yards per catch.
- Averaged 127 yards per game.
- 2019 Biletnikoff Award winner.
- Unanimous 1st team All-American.
- 3 games of 200+ yards receiving.
- 221 yards on 9 catches in the win over Clemson in the national championship game.
- 6 games of 100+ yards receiving.
- 10 catches for 229 yards and four TDs vs. Vanderbilt.
- Scored three touchdowns vs. Ole Miss.
At 6-1, 200 pounds, Chase averaged over 20 yards per catch in seven games last season, and he had 10 games with five or more catches. And, he scored at least one receiving touchdown in 11 of 14 games in 2019. Chase did not play against Northwestern State.
Chase will once again be part of a very productive duo along with teammate Terrace Marshall (46 catches, 671 yards, 13 TDs).
For his LSU career, Chase has 107 catches for 2093 yards and 23 touchdowns as he enters his junior season.
As the group above will attest, the No. 7 jersey comes with responsibilities and expectations. Will Chase be up to the task? I believe he will. Can Chase produce the same success in 2020 that he had last season? That remains to be seen and will depend heavily on the development of QB Myles Brennan, who is the heir apparent to all-everything and Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow. It will also depend on the scheme and success of incoming passing game coordinator Scott Linehan. But, I’m sure Coach O will do everything in his power to replicate the success of last season in 2020 and in years to come.
WR Ja’Marr Chase will wear No. 7 for LSU in 2020. Well deserved.
Thanks for reading thegridironnews.com.
Other material for this article sourced from lsusports.net.