St. Michael’s Crusaders: A Gridiron News Profile
Here we take a look at the St. Michael’s Crusaders, who are preparing for their TAPPS-Division II playoff game with Fort Bend Christian on Saturday. The kick-off is scheduled for 7:00 PM.
St. Michael’s Crusaders
The Crusaders’ offense is led by QB Carson Cruver. Cruver is ranked 3rd in TAPPS-Division II in passing with 2375 yards, 32 touchdowns, and 5 INTs (in 235 pass attempts).
Last week in the 1st round of the playoffs vs Lutheran South Academy, Cruver was 23 of 36 for 359 yards and four touchdowns and 2 INTs in a 35-14 win.
In the running game, the Crusaders lean on Malachi Smith (597 yards, 10 TDs, averaging 10 yards per rush) and Marc Pantoja (631 yards, 5 TDs, averaging 8 yards per rush).
The receiving corps for St. Michaels is solid:
- Zander Romero: 48 catches, 760 yards, 8 touchdowns.
- Jack Esparza: 31 catches, 750 yards, 14 touchdowns.
- Joseph Moreland: 43 catches, 685 yards, 13 touchdowns.
The Crusaders Defense
On the defense, the Crusaders have racked up 702 yards, 26 sacks, 75 tackles for loss, 15 INTs, 15 recovered fumbles, and six blocked field goals. Some notable leaders on defense are:
- Kalen Jaroszewski: 51 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks.
- Marcus Vondrak: 50 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 2 sacks.
- Lincoln Obermeyer: 61 tackles, 5 tackles for loss.
- Mason Smith: 69 tackles, 5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 3 INTs.
- Nicholas Villela: 51 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 2 sacks.
- Jah Griffin: 62 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 4 sacks.
This defensive unit will try to stop the high-powered offense of Fort Bend Christian, who is led by the #1 quarterback (Brady Dever-3484 yards, 49 TDs, 4 INTs) and the #1 running back (Sam LeBlue-1545 yards, 11 TDs) in TAPPS-Division II. The Eagles average 501 yards of total offense per game.
Can the St. Michael’s defense stop the offensive juggernaut that is Fort Bend Christian and gain a victory? Leave a comment below.